For most toddlers and even kids aged below the age of 5, drowning is the number one of cause of deaths which are preventable. That is why both the federal government as well as the state government in Queensland enforced very stringent pool safety regulations in order to ensure the safety of all vulnerable users. It has been determined that pool fencing is the best way to ensure pool safety and cut down on most of those preventable deaths caused by drowning. When you are installing a swimming pool, you must hire a pool fencing Gold Coast has that is able to adhere to all the necessary guidelines in place and install swimming pools that will not violate local codes and laws in the Gold Coast as well as in Australia.
General Pool Fencing Regulations in the Gold Coast
When it comes to pool fencing Gold Coast offers, there are various regulations that you will need to adhere to. These include the following:
- The kind of material that you will use for your Gold Coast swimming pools must be a durable one. Your swimming pool is going to be exposed to the elements as well as potential impact and it must be able to withstand all that.
- The pool fencing that you install must be well-maintained. You must ensure that there are no gaps, damage or even any holes in the swimming pool, particularly ones where the toddlers can slip through.
- The minimum height for swimming pool fencing must be at least 1.2m. If there are any boundary fences that form part of the pool fencing Gold coast has, then they need to be at least 1.8m high.
- The bottom gap between the swimming pool fencing and the ground must be no more than 10cm.
- The gap between the panels or even the palings that make up the pool fencing should be no more than 10cm.
- The gate of the swimming pool fencing enclosure should open outwards away from the pool area. Additionally, it is important that swimming pool gate is self-closing.
- The latch of the swimming pool gate needs to be mounted from the inside of the gate. This means that when an adult needs to open the swimming pool gate, they have to reach over to open it from the inside. However, if the latch is on the outside, make sure that the height of the latch is at least 1.5m.
- The outside of the pool fencing must not have any climbable objects such as plants, pot plants, BBQs or even the outdoor pool furniture pieces. These could be potentially used by kids so as to climb over the pool fencing.
- It is possible to have the walls of the house forming a part of the pool fencing. However, the house owner should not be able to access the pool directly from their house. There are cases where this can be permitted but in such cases, it is important to have doors which are self-latching or self-closing.
It is important to adhere to these regulations as lack of it generally leads to very heavy penalties being imposed. Talk to the local authorities and builders before you proceed with your pool fencing installations.